Monday, June 1, 2009

RANSOM OLD TOM GIN



Trying to live up the remaining days when my weekends still begin on Thursday, I stopped into my favorite troll cave, Binny’s, to pick up some beer with which to begin my celebration of a long weekend.

Passing by the gin section, I noticed a slightly oddly colored Old Tom Gin made by Ransom Spirits. Thinking it was a little steeply priced at $34.99, I thought to myself, “Well, I can do my research on it and decide if I still want it tomorrow.” And then, a few seconds later, I thought, “Who am I kidding? I know I’ll want it. I should just get it now.”

Lightly straw colored and deeply floral, this gin was much more complex than any other I have tried. I have just a tiny bit of experience with genevers, the old-fashioned type of gin popular in Holland before it made its fame in England, but apparently old toms are the missing link between the two, a little less potent than the old Dutch style, but not as bland as London dry gins.

The Portland-based distillery usually works with wine and other grape-based spirits, but this gin is their first batch ever. But doing my research, I’ve discovered a ton of Portland-based distilleries! How intriguing. Maybe this warrants a visit!

So, I have to ask: any suggestions on how to use this new gin? I tried it in a simple Tom Collins with pretty wonderful results, but what next?

No comments:

Post a Comment